President John Lyon's historical report of the Buderim Garden Club's involvement in the Beautification of Buderim, dated 2019
The Buderim Garden Club (BGC) was founded in 1946 along with the Buderim War Memorial Community Association (BWMCA) as part of the post-war program to continue the involvement of the Buderim Residents in the life of the Buderim community. Initially the BGC was just an informal small group of Buderim people interested in Gardening and the Beautification of Buderim, but no formal committee or executive positions were created till 1949, passed & present BGC committees have used the 1946 year to celebrate anniversary’s along with BWMCA.
The Club was not intended to be a formal Horticultural Society, but aimed to provide a social meeting and learning place for residents interested in beautifying the town through private gardens and public parks. That the Club has succeeded in this aim over its 73 years is evidenced by the continuing high level of interest shown by its members, and the standing which the Club enjoys in the Community.
The Club has always supported the Buderim War Memorial Community Association in the ideals and endeavours, and has been a great benefactor to the Maroochy Shire Council, now the Sunshine Coast Regional Council.
The Members of BGC look forward to the future years with pride in the past and confidence in the future.
Snippets of History
The Buderim Garden Club (BGC) was founded in 1946, but it was not till June 1949 when a public meeting was held (as reported in the Nambour Chronicle on 10th June) to elect a committee, and formalise the club operations.
Arising from this meeting the first Officers were elected:
President Mrs D. Ferguson. (Mrs Doris May Grace Ferguson was to remain President BGC from 1949 to 1956). V/President Mr J.D. Harcourt and Secretary/Treasurer Mr C. H. Perkins/L.J. Higgins. The committee comprises Mr. J. Wilson and the executive officers with the power to add.
Aims of the club were:
1. To foster and encourage the love and making of gardens for the Buderim residents;
2. To provide opportunities for the interchange of ideas and knowledge appertaining to gardening and flower culture;
3. To organise and conduct shows and competitions, as shall be decided upon from time to time.
Special Note: Some BGC passed history items have shown that Canon John Osborn (no e in surname) was President BGC from 1946, but No records can be found to prove this. It appears that Canon Osborn moved to Buderim during 1949/50 and became a person interested in Buderim & BGC matters.
Prior to 1958 the Club had been looking after the area known as “Waterfall Glen” (now the Primary School Oval), but in 1958, the care of this area was handed back to the Buderim Community Centre Recreation Committee.
In 1961 the Club was asked to care for the new Park created in an Alfred Grant Subdivision. The Club , with the assistance of members of the local Aboriginal community named the Park (after a naming competition) “Wirreanda” (Place of Big Trees), but after a few years the area was handed over to the Maroochy Shire Council.
At the President’s suggestion in 1961, the Management Committee structure was commenced in 1962, and the Club’s first Constitution was adopted in 1963. This was updated in 1989 into a set of Rules, when the Club became Incorporated under State Government Legislation.
The Objects of Buderim Garden Club Inc. being:
- To foster friendship among members through the common bond of gardening interests.
(2) To encourage and improve home gardening in Buderim and surrounding districts.
(3) To extend the knowledge of horticulture.
(4) To hold horticultural shows, at which prizes may be awarded.
(5) To co-operate in the development and beautification of Buderim and district.
Note – Donations from BGC go to projects for the “Beautification of Buderim”
The Club affiliated with the Garden Clubs of Australia in 1975, and in September 1985 hosted the 10th Convention of the Garden Clubs of Australia in Buderim. BGC is a member of the Queensland Council of Garden Clubs.
Meetings/membership commenced in 1946 and slowly increased over the years. A newspaper article in the Nambour Chronicle (Fri. 20 April 1952) reports that a meeting held in Mrs D. Ferguson home on Sat. last had 25 members in attendance and that the next meeting was to be held at Mr Geo. Burnett’s farm on Sat. 21st April.
It was decided in to hold monthly gatherings in Members’ gardens in Buderim so that practical knowledge may be gained. In June 1954 the regular meeting day was changed from Saturday to Friday – the annual subscription to be 2/6 per family.
In 1967/8 membership was about 40, and this increased until it topped the 200 in 1978 and 300 in 1988 (sometime during this period members formed the Nambour Garden Club, people from area where members BGC). BGC membership has stabilised at about 280 since. Now 288 as of September 2019.
Buderim Flower Shows/Open Gardens
The first record of BGC holding a Flower show and Carnival can be found in Nambour Chronicle & North Coast Advisor on 15 July 1949, with the show being held on September 3rd 1949. Other newspaper articles show A Dahlia & Chrysanthemum Display held in Buderim Hall (School of Arts) on 2 may 1952, so maybe shows were held yearly from 1949? An Exhibitor’s Schedule for the 1960 Spring Show is held - Admission was 2/- and Afternoon Tea cost 1/-.
In 1975, the Spring Show was the Opening Function of the Buderim Ginger Festival, and the Show was opened by Lady Cilento. Both Spring and Autumn Flower Shows were held annually until 1988 when the Spring Show was discontinued to become part of the new Gardens of Buderim program (Garden Walks/Drive from Hall) which featured 15 Gardens open for inspection, and included Plant stalls on Sat. & Sunday in Hall grounds, but no flower show in hall. Later renamed the Buderim Garden Festival this scheme still operates each Spring. In 1997 the Spring Flower Show was re-instated as part of the Garden Festival and the Autumn Flower Show was discontinued.
A “Garden of the Year” competition was commenced in 1965 in Buderim and in 1972 was expanded to an Open Garden Competition in conjunction with the Ginger Festival and the Club Garden Competition in conjunction with the Spring Flower Show. In 1973 both Garden Competitions were abandoned due to lack of interest.
The Club Competition was re-started in 1974 and continued until 1983. In 1984 the Club sponsored the Small Garden section in the Gardens in the Sun competition run by the local Newspaper. In 1985 the Club commenced a small competition within the Buderim Garden Village only for House and Balcony Gardens.
The Gardens of Buderim (Garden Walk), commenced in 1988 as stated above, and was listed as the opening feature of the inaugural Sunshine Coast Festival of Gardens which was opened by Mrs. Tammy Fraser. Ex. Prime Minister Mr. Malcolm Fraser accompanied Mrs. Fraser, over 1000 people attended the Garden Walk.
Eventually the Gardens in the Sun ended but the Club’s Garden Walk (open gardens) has continued every year as popular as ever as a popular part of the Buderim Garden Festival Week-end. The Spring/Autumn Flower Show however, has continued to be held each year, now in its 60th year, and if you count
In 1991 the “Gardens of Buderim” weekend was the opening feature of the inaugural Sunshine Coast Festival of Gardens. In 1995 the “Gardens of Buderim” became a feature of the “Buderim Garden Festival” that has since been held each year till 2019 (open garden part festival now in its 24th year, and if you count the initial Buderim Garden Walks that commenced in 1988, the Open Garden format has been running for 31 years). And if you count the first Flower show and Carnival being held on September 3rd 1949, them BGC is in their 71st year of Flower shows/Carnivals/Festivals of some sort held in Buderim, similar history to Toowoomba’s Festivals.
In August 1976, the club held its Annual General Meeting at the Buderim Garden Village, and met there once every year until 1986. In 1977 the Club held its December meeting in Foote Sanctuary, and provided a BBQ Lunch for all members. This started an annual sequence with gatherings in Members’ gardens which continued until 1986 when monthly meeting started being held on the seconded Friday of month from February to November at the Buderim Memorial Hall, with Christmas lunch held in December at a selected venue in Buderim.
In 1993 the Club invited the well-known and highly qualified Horticulturist Mr. Colin Campbell to be the Club’s Patron. Mr. Campbell had recently become a resident of Maleny and accepted the Club’s invitation with pleasure until his sad passing in 2012.
BGC then appointed Marjorie Van Roy as their new Patron in 2014. Marjorie has had a long association with the BGC and is a Life Member. She is a popular guest speaker and the Van Roys through their beautiful Manawee Nursery have always generously supported the BGC by providing plants for fundraising purposes and sponsors of the Buderim Garden Festival.
During 1999 the Club created the gardens around the newly renovated Old Post Office when it was opened as the BWMCA Information Centre and accepted responsibility for the ongoing maintenance of these gardens for many years to mid-2000’s, these gardens have over the years deteriorated. The BGC plans to renovate the gardens during 2020.
BGC 50th Anniversary
The Club’s 50th Anniversary in 1996 was celebrated by the production of a new Hibiscus named “Buderim Gold”. The plant was hybridized by G & J Lindsay. The celebrations also included a donation of $5,000 to the Sunshine Coast University for the establishment of a garden in the Library precinct.
BGC 60th Anniversary
The BGC 60th Anniversary in 2006 was celebrated by holding a 60th Anniversary dinner and the production of Buderim Garden Club 60th anniversary booklet & Calendar.
BGC 70th Anniversary
The BGC 70th Anniversary in 2016 was celebrated by holding a 70th Anniversary dinner and to raise the profile of the Hairpin Banksia - Banksia Spinulosa. The Banksia Spinulosa is native plant to Buderim area. The local Aboriginal people called this Banksia “Badderam” from which Buderim derived its name.
In 2015 BGC received a grant from The Buderim Foundation to purchase Banksia Spinulosa plants to be gifted to members and not for profit organisations in 2016 for planting in and around the gardens of Buderim.
Due to the relatively large size of Banksia spinulosa the BGC Management Committee decided to purchase a dwarf form known as Banksia spinulosa ‘Nana’. Nana is an elegant Banksia that grows to a height of 1.5 meters and produces a profusion of large golden yellow flower-heads in autumn and winter. The upright flowers are set amongst narrow, leathery, dark green leaves. It can be grown in full sun but prefers part shade and is ideal for growing under established gum trees. The flowers are useful as cut flowers and are highly attractive to honey-eaters. The Pioneer Cottage has the best examples of the “Nana” to be seen, and several members of BGC have their gifted banksia growing very well.
Book – Gardens of Buderim
In 2017, the BGC has published a book, “Gardens of Buderim”, book editor, Sarah Seeberg, says: “It will provide a pleasurable virtual walk around lovely Buderim gardens and parks”.
In it several members share their delight and pride in the gardens they have created, of different sizes and styles, showing how they have overcome problems like poor soil or steep slopes, as well as their successes in growing special flowers, fruit, vegetables and other plants.
Also included are articles about how to design a garden, the future of gardening in Buderim, the Club’s background and some of the town’s garden history, as well as useful details about local public parks. The garden stories and front and back covers are enhanced by superb photographs, mostly taken by Club members. Member Noel Williams has written two songs (music by Alan Winter) for book – The Buderim Banksia & Buderim Blooms.
Many of the gardens featured have been highlights of Buderim’s Annual Garden Festival, open to a large and admiring public during the second weekend in October.
Beautification of Buderim.
Donations from BGC go to projects for the “Beautification of Buderim”
No records kept/found from 1946 to 1970 – Money was tight and hard earned during this time in History, but BGC is sure that there would have been donations/voluntary work done towards the beautification of Buderim during this period of time?
For a number of years prior to 1980 the Club donated and planted Callistemon Trees along King Street and Main Street. In 1988, to celebrate Australia’s Bi-Centenary, 24 Expo Gold Xanthostemons (Gold Penda) were planted in King Street. In 1986 the Club planted street trees at the top of Burnett Street, and constructed and planted gardens at the newly constructed intersection of Lindsay Road with Main Street.
In 1982, the Club donated $400 to Foote Sanctuary, and $100 towards landscaping the new Buderim Ambulance Station. Three street seats were donated to the Memorial Hall in 1984. In 1990, the Club paid $5,000 for the landscaping around the newly renovated War Memorial Hall and in 1995 provided a further $2,000 for additional plants and an automated watering system for the landscaping. $4,500 was donated to the BWMCA in 1994 for roofing and paving of an area adjacent to the Hall on the Village Green (outside BGC Storeroom).
In 1993, $5,000 was donated to the Maroochy Shire Council towards the establishment of an Edna walling Memorial Garden at the entrance to Buderim Forest Park. This Garden was opened in August 1995. In 1996, to commemorate the Club’s 50th year $5,000 was donated to the Sunshine Coast University towards the establishment of a garden in the Library Precinct. This has been identified as a gift from the Buderim Garden Club.
In summary, from 1980 to 2001 a total of $20,140 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim”
List of Donations towards the Beautification of Buderim from 2002
Various donations towards BWMCA other Buderim Gardens $1,500
- Grants to Buderim Forest $1740 (Maroochy Council)
- Bloomhill garden $555
- Wirreanda Park $5000 (Maroochy Council)
Martin’s creek beautification $1606 (Maroochy Council)
Memorial Hall Plants (BWMCA) $750
- BWMCA Hall seats repaint $350
- Buderim Mountain State School gardens $499
- Buderim Scout Hall garden renovation’s $275
- Botanic Gardens Arbour $7574 (Maroochy Council)
Botanic garden plaque (arbour) $324 (Maroochy Council)
- During this year BGC made a grant of $1,600 to the Buderim Historical society to pay for suitable gates in the three-bar fence around the Pioneer cottage. A plaque on one of the gates acknowledges the gift (BWMCA).
- The committee has made "in principle " commitments to contribute to the development of, Buderim community park" and also to bringing back to Buderim the restored Kraus locomotive, which ran on the old Buderim-Palmwoods tramway.
Chevallum State School garden $72
- Buderim Foundation $5,000
- Memorial Hall (BWMCA) gardens $3,000
The BGC approves the expenditure of $1500 for the construction of a memorial seat and plaque $120, in honour of Colin Campbell our past Patron in park/green near the Memorial Hall.
- This year BGC donated $1000 to the BWMCA and Craft Cottage Precinct Project. That area is looking particularly attractive these days and is an asset to Buderim. BGC have spent funds on plants, fertiliser and mulch for the Colin Campbell garden and the gardens around the hall ($250).
- BGC made a donation of $250 to Foote Sanctuary to assist with the purchase and planting of new plants after the relocation of the memorial stone to a more user-friendly area for the Remembrance Day ceremony.
- BGC major donation in their 70th anniversary year to the beautification of Buderim was a $10, 000 donation to the Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Gardens to go to the further development of their Whipbird Walk Project. The project aims to provide an area with in the gardens where children can explore, discover and respond to what they find. It was the MRBBG 20th Anniversary this year.
- Also donated $641 to the BWMCA as a share payment of the concrete path in front of the Colin Campbell seat where the grass had been worn away by pedestrians.
- During 2018 the BGC donated $2000 to BWMCA for Buderim tree lighting project (being held up by council red tape).
- Foote Sanctuary was given $500 towards tree replacement project.
- In conjunction with the Buderim Lions club the BGC gave $1000 towards Chappy Dave’s Garden project @ Buderim Mountain SS, and carried out plantings for the project.
- The BGC constructed and planted the new David Edwards memorial garden/seat @ hall. The Men’s Shed, BWMCA, Friends of Buderim & the Buderim Foundation also made contributions towards the project. The BGC Shedder’s group will now maintain this garden.
In summary, from 2001 to 2018 a total of $48,356 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim”
BGC Donations to Open Garden Owners
To assist and support open garden owners to beautify and maintain their gardens, the BGC started donations in 2005 to all open garden owners.
From 2005 to 2008, $50 was donated to each garden (6 X 50 $300/year, total $1200).
2009 to 2011, $100 was donated to each garden (6 X 100 $600/year, total $1800).
2012 to 2015, $200 was donated to each garden (6 X 200 $1200/year, year 2014 had 7 gardens so total $5000).
2016/2017, $250 was donated to each garden was donated to each garden (6 X 250 $1500/year, total $3000).
2018/2019, $300 was donated to each garden was donated to each garden (6 X 300 $1800/year, total $3600).
In summary, from 2005 to 2019 a total of $21,100 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim” through Open Garden scheme donations to owners.
Total Donations since 1946 that BGC has donated towards the “Beautification of Buderim”
- No records kept/found from 1946 to 1970. Money was tight and hard earned during this time in History, but BGC is sure that there would have been donations/voluntary work done towards the beautification of Buderim during this period of time?
- From 1980 to 2001 a total of $20,140 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim”
- From 2001 to 2018 a total of $48,356 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim”
- From 2005 to 2019 a total of $21,100 has been donated by BGC towards the “Beautification of Buderim” through Open Garden scheme donations to owners.
Total donations that BGC can account for from 1980 to 2019 are - $89,596
Voluntary Work carried out over years by BGC
The BGC has helped to beautify Buderim through voluntary labour - including Street Tree Plantings, landscaping projects, and adopting parks/maintenance.
Tree Plantings, landscaping projects, and adopting parks/maintenance.
Flower Shows are held and private gardens opened to the Public. All these items have required years of volunteer work from BGC members since 1946 to present day
Parks cared for have included:
Waterfall Glen now part of the Primary School Oval
Edna Walling Memorial Garden – Present day volunteers
OPO Gardens – Start working bees in 2020.
Memorial Hall Gardens - Present day volunteers (known as “Shedders Group”)
Pioneer Cottage Gardens - Present day volunteers
Over the years club members have planted trees along King, Main, and Burnett Streets and constructed the original gardens at the junction of Lindsay Road and Main Street.